Wednesday 10 July 2013

Meet Lihle Malinga


I would like to introduce you to Thembelihle (Lihle) aka “LillyBelle” Malinga. A chef and beauty therapist by profession, co-owner of Connoisseur Mobile Day Spa, proud founder of Lwazi’s Cooking n' Catering as well as Lillybelle Accessories.  This multi talented young lady hails from the beautiful province of KZN in a town called Dundee. One of the bubbliest people I know, she is a mom, sister, daughter and makes a great friend. A go-getter whom in her words says: “IMPOSSIBLE is a word that does not exist in my vocabulary”. She shared with me some really thought provoking views and opinions that got me really thinking about entrepreneurship. Enjoy the read…

1. Tell us about your professional training background
I went to primary and high school T Dundee. I am a mom, a sister, a daughter and a great friend. I studied for a Diploma in Professional Cookery at the International Hotel School and did my 3 year in service traineeship at Alpine Heath Resort in the Northern Drakensberg. While working as a chef I decided to study Massage Therapy, through the Beauty Therapy Institute. Best decision of my life!
2. Cooking and beauty? How do the two mix?
You have no idea how many times I've been asked this question... Just makes me laugh!!! *chuckles* Both fields have always been my passion. Coming from a strict family I actually wasn't allowed to study for either of my chosen careers. Believe it or not I actually tried to study for Graphic Design once upon a time!!!! My parents should have seen it coming; I started collecting recipes at the age of 14. When I was younger my mom was my kitchen hero... She would cook and bake up a storm. Every week she would bake so when visitors came, there would be something to have with their tea. She made everything from scratch, even ice cream back in the days!!I guess hospitality is in my blood, I love taking care of people one way or another... It actually works because some of our spa packages have light snacks and refreshments. I actually see myself owning a restaurant with its own spa... Let's say in 5years time. How I knew definitely that I would study massage therapy was when my father was involved in a car accident and had hurt his back, I knew how to massage it better and it has always come naturally to me. The only logical thing to do was just to get my Diploma so I could practice my gift formally.
3. What inspired the inception of your two businesses (the spa and cooking classes)?
When I was studying Massage therapy, the aim was to work for myself, and not for any other spa. That's when I met my business partner Ntswaki Moreriane a Beauty Therapist who just fueled my passion even further that our spa can become a reality. It took months of planning and finally Connoisseur Mobile Day Spa was started in May 2012. Our spa is mobile so we actually travel to people's homes.
How the cooking classes came about, was that my other passion kept on calling me. I was working for our spa fulltime, but would find that I have free time here and there to do other things. That's when I came up with Lwazi's Cooking n' Catering (named after my daughter Nolwazi). I saw the need to teach, because some people don't know how to cook to save their lives LOL. So I travel to people's homes and spend a good 4-5hours teaching them on what we agreed on beforehand.
4. Where do you get your inspiration?
I’m inspired by a lot of people, number 1 has always been my dad. I have never met another parent with such determination and passion who only does the best for his children. He has also invested in my businesses because he has that much faith in me. I'm also inspired by Ntswaki Moreriane, Bongi Nkabinde, Malebo Gololo, Euphony Kgadima all these amazing young black ladies give me that motivation that dreams do come true.
5. Who gave you the best business tip / advice that you still live by today?
 Ask! Ask! Ask! "You've got to ask. Asking in my opinion, the world's most powerful and neglected secret to success and happiness" -Percy Ross, self made millionaire and philanthropist
6. Other projects you are involved in?
I recently started selling imported earrings as a hobby, because ladies were always asking me where do I buy my earrings. I stock all types of earrings and at very reasonable prices. I deliver them around Gauteng and courier them everywhere else.
I would actually love to volunteer in the near future, especially in kids and women shelters.
7. To relax after a long day of work what do you do?
I play a lot of music and read. Or sit in silence and reflect on the day's activities and plan for the next day.
8. You call yourself a momtrepreneur…what is that?
LOL!!! Yes I'm a momtrepreneur (derived from the words mom and entrepreneur) I'm a mom first before anything and I'm an entrepreneur second.  Everything that I do is to be able to provide for my 10year old daughter a better life.
9. What business mistakes have you made that you learned from?
What I have learned is that you cannot rush business, just because you have made your first sale does not guarantee that your business will survive the next 6 months. Never assume that you will get repeat business from previous clients. Marketing is KEY! Keep telling people about your business, network and don't be afraid to ask for help.
10. Challenges that young black female entrepreneurs are facing in SA today.
When you are new in your chosen industry no one wants to take you seriously. They wait up until you are established to give you support. Other black females that have made it, don't give out business advice on how they made it, they refuse to mentor unknown lady entrepreneurs.

Get in touch:
Connoisseur Mobile Day Spa (www.connoisseurspa.co.za)
Lihle 0717432336 / Ntswaki 0718989651
info@connoisseurspa.co.za
Facebook page is Connoisseur Mobile Day Spa
Twitter handle is @connoisseurspa

Lwazi's Cooking n' Catering -Cooking classes
Lihle 0717432336
lihlemalinga@yahoo.com
Facebook page is Lwazi's Cooking n' Catering
Twitter handle is @cheflee

Lillybelle Accessories - Imported Earrings
Lihle 0717432336
Facebook page is Lillybelle Accessories


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow! What another inspiring interview, keep them coming Charmz and well done to Lihle!

charmaines cookbook said...

Thanks Chomi.

Unknown said...

Wow - amazing <3