Tuesday 23 August 2011

I am not my hair

I absolutely loooove India.Arie's song "I am not my hair".
It speaks to me in volumes.

2010 December after I had it with the blazing heat (and motivated by pregnancy hormones)
I walked into a barber shop and shaved it all.  My sleek fancy relaxed bob all went to the floor!  It wasn't my first time doing it, I believe everyime I do that it is a begining of great thing in my life. 





A couple of months down the line I grew my hair to a natural fro, but that wasn't me so I'm back to being the "Weave Queen" that I am.  I am one of the many women who say - "coz I bought it (the weave) then its mine (my hair)". 

They say that the head of a woman is her crowning glory and indeed I agree.  Although what is on your head does not define what iis within you it greatly represents you.  This leads me to India.Arie's lyrics from the song I am not my hair -  "Good hair means curls and waves, Bad hair means you look like a slave, at the turn of the century it's time to redifine who you be you can shave it off like a South African beauty or get in on lock like Bob Marley you can rock a straight like Oprah Winfrey, If its not whats on your head its whats underneath".

!

Au Naturel or

Soft lock dread!

So rock on your weave, bald head, lock or go au naturel I still believe woman you are beutifulllll

No comments: